Employees and the environment, making a positive difference
Bank of America supports the environment through a variety of initiatives and focus areas. One program that is making a significant difference in our local communities is the bank’s My Environment employee program.
Five years ago, the My Environment employee network was created to help educate employees on how to become environmental stewards at work, at home and in the communities where they work and live. Today, more than 18,000 employee members in 32 countries are participating in hundreds of environmental educational events each year. Together, My Environment employee members have logged more than 200,000 environmental volunteer hours in our communities since the program began in 2010.
Here are some of the ways in which our employees have made a difference:
- More than 120 Waste Less lunch events hosted by Bank of America offices in 2013 and 2014. More than 4,100 employees ate Waste Less lunches.
- More than 3,000 employees committed to reducing their energy usage through an “Energy Pledge,” developed in partnership with C2ES. Those pledges were estimated to reduce more than 2.5 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
- More than 2,000 Bank of America employees assisted in collecting millions of pounds of debris from oceans, lakes and rivers around the world in 2015 through the Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup events.
- Through the bank’s Recycle Now initiative launched in April 2015, employees increased recycling across the enterprise. In the six challenge markets alone, employees increased recycling rates an average of 14%.
"The problems and challenges we face in our environment can feel overwhelming, and sometimes the hardest part of creating change is taking the first step and feeling like we make a difference. I am grateful to the bank for giving us these types of opportunities and supporting us to make the world a better place.” – Teri Jacobs, My Environment member, Bank of America.
Philanthropy – Giving back to the communities where we work and live and supporting the environment
We understand that big challenges require collaboration. That's why we strategically partner with leading organizations that are driving a low-carbon energy future, expanding access to clean and safe water, and researching next-generation responses and solutions to these and other challenges. Engaging with partners like Stanford University’s Global Climate and Energy Project is helping to drive innovation that will expand opportunities to achieve a low-carbon energy future. Our partnership with Water.org will help more than 100,000 people in southern India gain access to clean, safe water and sanitation, expanding economic and educational opportunities for women in the process. And our work with the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES) is helping to identify issues and strategies to make communities and economies more resilient to climate change. In 2014, we committed more than $15.4 million in environmental philanthropy to provide sustainable solutions to real challenges facing the communities we operate in around the world.
Here are just a few of our partners:
- American Forests
- Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
- GivePower Foundation
- The Nature Conservancy
- Ocean Conservancy
- Recycle Across America
- U.S. Green Building Council
Our $125-billion environmental initiative is a catalyst for accelerating low-carbon activities for the businesses, institutions and customers we serve.
We manage our operations, and those of our vendors, with environmentally sound practices and ambitious targets.
Our executive leadership sets strategy, priorities and goals with a global perspective and ensures rigorous risk management in our lending and other business activities.