Dallas-Fort Worth-Area Millennials Place Homeownership Above Other Life Priorities

Many Dallas-Fort Worth Residents Planning First Home Purchase, but Persistent Homebuying Myths Hold Back Others

Dallas-Fort Worth’s millennials are straying from the norm as they redefine life’s priorities, according to the latest Bank of America Homebuyer Insights Report. Seventy-one percent of local millennials say owning a home is a top priority. Homeownership is second only to being able to retire (83 percent) and far outranks getting married (58 percent) and having children (45 percent).

The report, which explores the attitudes, preferences, and behaviors of the modern homebuyer, also finds that many local millennials equate homeownership with personal (56 percent) and financial (38 percent) success. Prospective millennial buyers in Dallas-Fort Worth also associate purchasing a home with maturity (57 percent), adulthood (48 percent) and independence (39 percent).

Additional Dallas-Fort Worth-specific highlights from the report include:

Renter’s reservations: a reality check on common homebuying myths

• Local renters in Dallas-Fort Worth are torn on the “own vs. rent” debate, with 56 percent believing that renting long-term will be more expensive than buying a home. The other 44 percent say it will be just as or less expensive than owning.

• Yet, 84 percent believe their rent will continue to rise every year or every other year. And 50 percent pay more than 30 percent of their income in rent each month.

• When asked what they dislike about renting, those in Dallas-Fort Worth (69 percent) are significantly more likely than their national counterparts (52 percent) to say rising rental costs. They’re also more likely to feel like they’re throwing money away (52 percent vs. 49 percent), and they are just as likely as their national counterparts to say “not feeling like it’s truly home” (42 percent vs. 43 percent).

• Top renter misconceptions in Dallas-Fort Worth include:
-    Thirty-six percent believe that 20 percent down is required to buy a home
-    Thirty-nine percent believe they must pay private mortgage insurance if they don’t put 20 percent down
-    Nearly one-quarter believe they need to have a “perfect” credit score to be considered for a mortgage

The five Ws of homebuying: Prospective buyers in Dallas-Fort Worth are being purposeful in their homebuying planning

Who: While 55 percent of first-time local buyers plan to buy with a spouse or partner, others are venturing out on their own, as 41 percent say they plan to purchase their first home solo.

What: When thinking about their first home, buyers in Dallas-Fort Worth prefer:
-    A starter home (51 percent) vs. a forever home (49 percent)
-    More square footage (51 percent) vs. a large backyard (49 percent)
-    A modern layout (62 percent) vs. a home with “good bones” (38 percent)
-    Updated appliances (87 percent) vs. an updated exterior (13 percent)

Where: 50 percent are looking to stay in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, while 31 percent plan to buy elsewhere.

When: 43 percent of local residents plan to buy in the next two years, and 65 percent say saving for a down payment is a financial priority.

Why: Those in Dallas-Fort Worth say having enough money saved (61 percent) and a higher salary (45 percent) are their top motivations to buy for the first time.

To learn more about the Bank of America Homebuyer Insights Report, click here.

10/10/2018


Open Location
Open How we're involved