Providing inspiration and tools for tomorrow’s leaders
Preparing high school students for leadership is an essential component of our community investments. We also recognize the pressing issue of finding youth employment as large numbers of young people search for work experience that will translate into long-term success.
Our Student Leaders program connects young leaders with employment that helps to give them the necessary tools and resources they need to advance. Through the Student Leaders program, we recognize high school juniors and seniors who step outside of the classroom to contribute service in their own communities and beyond. Student Leaders are awarded paid summer internships with local nonprofit organizations and participate in a Student Leadership Summit held in Washington, D.C.
Interested in our 2014 Student Leaders program?
The application period for the 2014 Student Leaders Program is now open. Click here to apply.
The Student Leaders program is an eight-week summer experience for high school juniors and seniors. The program includes a paid internship with a local nonprofit organization as well as the Student Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C. The program gives Student Leaders the opportunity to develop and apply leadership skills through hands-on community work experience while discovering their own talents for serving their community and leading others.
To become a Student Leader, you must:
- Currently be a junior or senior in high school
- Be able to participate in an 8-week paid internship at a local nonprofit/charitable organization and work 35 hours a week
- Be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship through the end of September
- Be able to participate in a week-long Student Leadership Summit in Washington, DC. (All expenses paid as part of the Student Leaders Program. This week will be part of your 8-week experience.)
- Be a student in good standing at your school
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, or school administrator.
Highlights From The 2013 Leadership Summit
From meeting with members of Congress to attending inspiring lectures, the following video features highlights from five stimulating days in D.C, as well as perspective from current student leaders and program alumni.
See highlights for days 1-4 of the Student Leadership Summit. Get the whole story.
Helping nonprofits address local challenges and meet critical needs through funding and leadership development.
Our employees generously give their time and expertise to help revitalize local communities.
We're partnering with Vital Voices to help extraordinary women unleash their leadership potential.